Let’s Refuel the Grey Matter
Do you often find yourself forgetting what you came into the kitchen for? where you put the keys? How you will creatively pull together that presentation for work? Lets take some steps to be able to think more clearly, get out of the fuzzy head and make some simple lifestyle adjustments.
When you are overworked stressed out and tired it often leads to the brain being fried and not functioning on all cylinders. This in it self can be frustrating and exhausting .
So how do we create and form some healthier habits to protect ourself from mental burnout?
1) Taking time out: I know what you are thinking I don’t have the time to take time out, but in all honestly having some chilled time out from everyday life or the rat race we all know can do wonders for you to asses your life and see it from a new perspective, reboot the energy cells and learn how to chill.
2) Ditching the stress: Not all stress is bad for us but most of us are over stressed and putting so much pressure on our mental health and our body that is is causing so many of us to be ill.. When we are under stress we don’t think properly as the thinking part of our brain (pre frontal cortex) is by-passed and hits our emotions part of the brain..
This is what is known as the flight or fight response.
As your stress levels increase and your emotions rise we lose the ability to think clearly and our creativity slumps.
If you focus on your fears and worst case scenarios your panic and stress levels rise and you then you find yourself in a vicious cycle of being stuck in a rut of stress and fear.
We need to learn to manage our stress levels better and by this we need to manage our cortisol levels from rising. High levels of cortisol severely impacts your health including the risk of anxiety, depression, heart disease, weight gain, digestive issues and severe headaches.
We need to learn to rest and relax so that our cortisol levels stay low and this also allows us to sleep better at night.
When stressed and cortisol is high it will only se us having a bad nights sleep, being even more tired and stressed and in a vicious cycle..
3) Sleep: Sleep is so important never mind the “Gurus” who say sleep is over rated and to work your ass off all hours.. sleep is time for the body to repair and restore itself.
When you have a decision to make that is rather important, what do most people say? sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning.. Its so true a refreshed brain will have you thinking much clearer..
You ever notice when you lose a few nights sleep or when you are going through the early years with a baby and the sleep deprivation you will notice how quickly your thinking ability diminishes. We also lose our ability to make sound decisions because we can no longer asses the situation. So get some rest and a good nights sleep.. Turn off that technology dim the lights splash on the lavender oil and even listen to some meditation music to help switch your brain off.
Some Top Tips to Keep Your brain Ticking Over
- Practice Mindfulness and deep Breathing techniques
- Exercise and get your heart pumping
- Try a new hobby that is fun not a chore
- Prioritise rest & sleep